Friday, August 27, 2010

For Lack of a Better Title about Writer's Block

A lot of this post is to show a bunch of pictures I enjoy about writer's block. The rest is to complain discuss the setbacks of writer's block.

I think I've got to put an end to this. This sitting around, staring at that blinking cursor, waiting for the story to come out. That story that's just sitting there in my brain, but just doesn't seem to want to transfer out into compelling sentences. ("Chapter 2" is mocking me even more.) So I go to put an end to it, and I tell myself "just write! Whatever comes out, you can fix later." Then I find myself finishing those odds and ends -- those tasks that never seem to get completed until that dreaded Writer's Block rears it's ugly head.

The laundry is done! The dishes are put away! Oh I've been meaning to vacuum. I wanted to make that shirt a while ago. Ooh! I think I want to crochet another blanket! These YouTube videos are just so entertaining!

And then I see my piles of empty notebooks...


I'm insane at this point. How does one get over writer's block? That's what I want to know. When does it strike? Is it a seasonal thing? Is it a personal thing? Tips, tricks? I've got a few up my sleeve:
  • random writing prompts. I've compiled a list of 100 or so words, and with a random number generator, I tell myself I must write something about that word, in some way.
  • write and be happy. Like I said earlier. Don't get it right, get it written. There will always be time to fix it later.
  • or just write something random that will never reach the eyes of anyone, because then I'm at least writing something.
Anyone have anything else? I'd love to hear.
But at this point, I really do have to change. September, I will start fresh. In fact I hope tomorrow to spend the entire day editing my already written manuscript.

Happy writing!

Picture credits:
It Mocks Me
Writer's Block I (by a great friend of mine.)
writer's block.

No comments:

Post a Comment