Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Metaphorical Underwear Drawer

Road Trip Wednesday asks another great question -- What does your character hide in their underwear drawer - or other secret location?

So it's funny they should ask that question, because for my current characters -- written and unwritten -- the underwear drawer remains empty, or for some of them... nonexistent.

I want to touch on my characters from my completed WIP. (Is that a bit of an oxymoron?) These characters have nothing to hide except secrets. At least in Olivia's case, because as I'm writing this, I think Benjamin is, in fact, hiding something. And it's so much a secret that it never made it into the manuscript. (Although now I'm thinking maybe it should.) It's just that these two characters have a huge secret -- something along the lines of the power of mind control. How do you hide that in an underwear drawer, unless it's the underwear drawer of your mind?

Okay, now that may be getting a little personal. I can only imagine what might exist in a mental underwear drawer. Possibly creepy. But think about it... Benjamin and Olivia, they've got this big secret, (and of course lets ignore the idea that they could make people forget if they ever found out... which then leads to the "what if they have earplugs" discussion... another post for another time... if I ever get to that as it might not interest people who haven't read the book,) and so where do they hide it? Certainly not in a tangible underwear drawer. But possibly a metaphorical one.

Then we think about Benjamin. Like I said, he's got something that might really be hidden under his tighty-whities or boxer shorts. (Seriously, I never really thought about what underwear he'd wear, so... I'm just going to stop there.) He got himself caught up in a bad situation with his underwear drawer-worthy secret. He let get things out of hand, and now that's a secret that leaves physical evidence. It's the kind of evidence he'd need to scoop up and hide before anybody could pin it on him. (Now if only I could figure out what this evidence is. Come to think of it, it might actually not exist.)

**

I hate to do this, but I'm making this post even longer. My unwritten WIP, (not true, I have a chapter written,) involves a different kind of underwear drawer. Poor Mason doesn't have a home, so he doesn't have an underwear drawer. He's got a duffel bag that he just happens to keep underwear in. But surely he must have something at the bottom of it.

The perfunctory response would be "his gun" or "a deck of cards." While both are true, they are only sort of true. The deck of cards is a spare, in case he loses the one in his back pocket. And as for the gun? He tends to keep that under his pillow, or hidden on his person. He only hides it in the duffel bag/underwear drawer when absolutely necessary. (Hey! I spelled necessary right on the first try! That's... a first!) Anyway....

Despite that, Mason does have something hidden at the bottom of the duffel bag, under all the underwear his father wouldn't dare touch, because lets face it, they're both grungy, but they're not about to touch another guy's underwear. So what is it that Mason -- some sort of master criminal -- hides under all that? Maybe a picture of his mom, because after all, he's got to feel some sort of guilt for leaving her when he was twelve to join his father in his illegal escapades.

**

Wow, this was fun. I discovered a lot about my characters.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you discovered lots about your characters! It sounds like they have interesting lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to see someone work through it and learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I kind of think it's sexy that your MC carries around a deck of cards. Why? I have no idea. But there you have it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting characters! I had a bit of trouble with thinking about this...it's all about gettin' to know your cast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin, that was exactly the point of the deck of cards. That came from me finding it attractive that Gambit from the X-Men always had a deck of cards with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the deck of card is actually more interesting than the gun, Besides Gambit was always my favorite X-men. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it's kind of funny how the gun is less interesting. I hope you guys think that in the sense that it seems like he should have one. The deck of cards is what makes it a tad bit strange in his situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool to see you think through this! And by the way, I totally hide my mind control powers in my underwear drawer. Oh yes I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is really the best place to hide something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got me anxious to know about the secret Benjamin has, and whatever else is lurking at the bottom of Mason's duffle bag. Oh, the intrigue!

    It was fun to read your thoughts as you worked this out. :)

    ReplyDelete