Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Abundance of Katherines - Book Review Time!

I just finished the book, and it coincides nicely with this week's Road Trip Wednesday!

The best book I read in September.... well, I think it was the only book I read in September. Somehow this month got away from me. (Actually, I know how, but I'm gonna spare you the details. For now. It may come up in a later post, but I'm gonna twist it into a writing-related post.)

So I started this book in the beginning of September, put it down. It actually spent a good week or two half under by bed. Then I picked it back up like, three days ago, and finished the second half.

What book? Why, An Abundance of Katherines of course, by the talented John Green.

Colin Singleton is a prodigy. He also has had 19 girlfriends, all named Katherine. When Katherine XIX dumps him, Colin and his friend Hassan go on a road trip and find themselves in the tiny little town of Gutshot, TN. There, Colin has his first Eureka moment, and begins work on a theorem that will predict the outcome of any relationship. And of course, having 19 relationships to base it off of, it should be easy, right? Apparently not.

This book is relatively good. It's a John Green book, that's for sure. As in, no love-sick teenage girls, (although Colin is a bit lovesick as he misses K-19 for a while.) No paranormal whats-its. Pure realism. Pure, seamless writing. Not much to hate about it. The only downside? Math.

Yes, that's right, there is math in the book. I did tell you Colin spends most of the book working on a theorem right? I did. And he thinks about it a lot. And it shows up a lot, in the form of equations and graphs that actually show up in the pages between passages of plot. Thankfully, John Green is able to make the story take precedence over the math. In fact, you can gloss over the graphs and equations, and the story still makes perfect sense. (And supposedly, the math makes sense too. I'll take his smart friend's word for it.)

There's another quirky thing about this book that makes it great and unique. Throughout the book, there are footnotes included. These are things that might normally be found in parentheses. What I like about them is that they give you a better sense of who Colin is because most of these footnotes include information that only a child prodigy would know, or even think about in certain situations. So it brings you closer to him.

I like this book. I liked Looking For Alaska better, but this was definitely a good book. It would probably fall somewhere in my top ten.

And for the record, I like the other cover better.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but it's somewhere on my list. I read Looking for Alaska last month and it was good, but not as good as Paper Towns I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review :) Here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/abundance-of-katherines-by-john-green.html Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete