Sunday, October 24, 2010

November

November... what comes to mind?
Leaves changing? Thanksgiving turkey? Christmas stuff already out?
How about election day? Or changing the clocks? Or my birthday? (19 years old!)
Possibly you think of NaNoWriMo?

To NaNo, or not to NaNo, that is the question. Some people hate this concept. Some people see it as appalling. It causes all these people to fill with unrealistic expectations. They write a book and think that they're gonna make it. Well yeah, if these people write their novel and then immediately ship them off to publishing houses.

I find NaNoWriMo an incredibly awesome thing. Had it not been for this month last year, I never would have completed a manuscript. Thankfully, I haven't sent it off yet. It's been in the editing stages for a year. (However, I haven't touched it in a while. I need to get that editing done.)

I think this is the kind of activity that works for me. I beat around the bush all the time. If I could win an award in procrastination, I wouldn't get it because I'd wait too long to get around to making it to the stage to accept. NaNoWriMo doesn't let me procrastinate. (Especially when I had a prize of a free proof copy. Unfortunately, that made everyone think that I had it published. How many times do I have to tell everybody that it isn't?)

Regardless of my rambling, I plan on participating again this year. 50,000 words or bust... hopefully more. Plot of choice? Two word: Stockholm's Syndrome.

Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment