Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Totally Stuck

Just as the title of this blog states, I'm totally stuck. It happens to every writer at least once. To some it happens more than once. To me, I'm currently just stuck.

I was totally excited for NaNoWriMo this year. I figured it would get me to write something I've been dancing around for months.

*insert nervous laugh here*

It's been over a week since November started. I've turned 19, I've done early Christmas shopping, and I've written a grand total of 3000 words. I should actually be well over 15,000 words at this point. I should be a quarter of the way through the novel, and I'm only past chapter 1.

So what's the problem? Writer's block? Boredom? Procrastination? What is it that's hit me? What hits other writers in this predicament, and how do you overcome it?

For me, I know that what I have to do is throw away that pesky inner editor. The biggest problem is that I was not satisfied with the beginning, and I am not capable of skipping around. If I can kick out my inner editor, I think I may just be able to squeeze a novel out of my brain.

That's my update for you all. Anyone else working on NaNoWriMo? Anyone else stuck like me? Even if you're not participating in this challenge?

3 comments:

  1. Early Christmas shopping??? Now you're making me feel bad ...

    Don't panic, and yes, turn off that inner editor. I'd suggest you try some sprint writing -- like The Practice Room or 1k1hr on Twitter. Just write for a solid hour without going back, without re-reading or revising, without looking up anything, not even a spelling or synonym. Tell yourself you'll fix it later and just move forward. Maybe that will get you past your block.

    It has worked for me in the past. Yeah, I might have to revise what I wrote in that hour, but I almost always figured out where I wanted to go next.

    During my Practice Room Session tonight, I tried my backwards outlining, starting from the endpoint I wanted to reach, and made it pretty far. I haven't quite connected the outline to the beginning I want to use, but I'm close. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, see that's what I did last year. I was, for the most part, able to write without caring what I wrote. I guess this year I just keep psyching myself out.

    And really, I have no idea why I already started Christmas shopping. I guess because the slippers I always get my dad were on sale, and it just kind of went from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not doing Nano, but i hear you about than pesky inner editor. I have trouble shutting mine up when I write!

    ReplyDelete