Wednesday, December 15, 2010

For the Love of Writing

Oh the things we do for the love of writing. I might have to suck it up and watch... *gulp* Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

Now let's be honest, that saying "girls love a man in uniform," doesn't usually fail to apply to me.

Yes, that is My Chemical Romance. Just go with it, I love that music video.

As much as I dislike history, historical fiction, any "history" class I've ever had, I have some sort of strange fascination with the World War II era. Actually, I have a fascination with that whole 40's through early 60's era. The dress, the hair, the mannerisms. Even the fact that they smoked in offices and women had way less rights (I'm not completely approving of those) I just love that era.

Well, a few nights ago, I was lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep, I came up with a new idea. Heh, I get a lot of good ideas while I'm falling asleep. Unfortunately, I'm too comfortable to bother getting up and scribble something down, and I lose it the next morning. This time, I refused to lose it. I turned on the obnoxiously bright light, found a pen and a notebook, and jotted down some barely legible notes. Actually, the handwriting was pretty legible, but the organization was a little... interesting.

Anyway, what it comes boiling down to is that this new story (that I will get to [at some point]) will be a modern day story, with parts that slip back into WWII. It'll be these history flashbacks that will push the plot forward. And I don't plan on basing it after real people unless I find a similar story. Chances are it's happened a few times anyway. Sort of.

So yeah. The funny thing is, I make such a big deal out of the fact that my dad loves Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. If either are on, he has to watch it, and I groan because I really don't care for war movies. (Despite my fascination with the time period.) And now I'm going to voluntarily watch them. The things I do for a good story.


(Don't worry, I plan on doing some real reading and additional research. This will just be the jump in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment