Monday, January 10, 2011

Book Review - Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

Well, I think I put this review off long enough, and while I munch on some Cherry Garcia ice cream, I'm finally sharing my thoughts on Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.

Dash and Lily are both in New York, and are both spending Christmas alone. Dash finds a red notebook in a bookstore that sends him on a journey through the countless shelves. He decides to pull a twist on the notebook and sends the owner on her own journey, through New York, and soon the two are sending this red notebook back and forth with directions and dares that keep the preoccupied and guessing the whole holiday season.

The book swaps chapters. Dash, Lily, Dash, Lily... Dash's chapters were written by David Levithan, and Rachel Cohn wrote Lily's chapters. It's clear there are different voices in the chapters, which is good because it helps the reader feel how there are two separate characters with their own personalities. Dash is smart, and sly. Lily is cunning and cheery. Dash hates Christmas, Lily can't get enough of it.

I was sucked into this book from page one. Dash has a vocabulary that would put my 12th grade English teacher to shame. In fact, the entire book had a vast vocabulary with words such as philatelist, esoteric, inveterate, and lascivious. And countless other words that nearly made my brain explode, but I loved it.

There were a few slightly cliche passages, mostly towards the end, but there were also passages that could have been very cliche, and weren't at all. And I even loved the mention of the "epistolary flirtation." I was happy to know I knew what an epistolary was by the time I reached that.

I would recommend this book. It kept my brain active, and it kept me entertained. Go ahead and add it to your bookshelf.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this one around, but haven't picked it up yet. Great post!

    ReplyDelete