Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Insert Title Here"

Road Trip Wednesday #67

Phew! 50 miles one way, 50 miles back. That's been my week. But, I haven't abandoned the blog. Clearly. I'll have another book review up soon. Maybe tonight.

Now back to the Road Trip. Titles. Oh, the task of titles. How do I pick titles? What's my title picking method? Honestly, I'm not very good at titles. At least in my opinion.

Titles hold so much importance. They have to sum up a story in some way. They also have to be creative and unique. They can be long, short, a phrase, a pun, or a name of a character. When do I pick what? Depends on the story.

My titles generally suck. I mean, look at the title of this post. I will mention that sometimes I come up with a title before I come up with a story, but usually, a story will go without a title for a long time. If it does have a title, it's usually very boring, or very stale, and it usually has something to do with something in the story.

Examples of title creations:
Gray Eyes. Yes, I had something titled that because I couldn't think of anything else. Something big was that a character had the last name Gray, and he had gray eyes, and no one else in his family did. Eventually the story evolved, the eye color, (while still prevalent) took a backseat to the rest of the story, and was renamed Echo because of a common occurrence in the story.

While working on NaNoWriMo for the first time, (with the creation of Echo) I saw a story entitled Confessions of an Imaginary Best Friend. I fell in love with the title and came up with a story idea to go along with it. I jotted it down, and plastered that title on top. (Thankfully this writer's plot was very different from what I came up with.) Then I sprinkled some details in, and I put some more thought into it, and then I found a picture. A picture of striped socks on a white background. Perfect book cover material. I decided to make a book cover for fun, and Confessions of an Imaginary Best Friend just wasn't working. So I took the concept, and the name of said Imaginary Best Friend, and retitled the idea A Friend Named Spencer.

Those are some "successes." Then there's title failure. That's when I can't find a title I'm happy with. And until then, I'll have to just write, and hope a new title comes to me later.

Little bit of an awkward post, but at least I've proven I haven't disappeared completely.

6 comments:

  1. glad to see you back! :)
    writing titles can be pretty difficult, yeah. but IMO, they come sooner or later, so i dont try to worry too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Titles can be quite the bind... er mind-breaker but when you come up with an amazing one - so worth the worry. Great post - nice to know we ALL go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's OK to write without a title. Usually there's great title inspiration within the story itself.

    (Oh, and Echo's a cool title!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, titles can be really challenging! I like Echo. There's something powerful about one word titles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, a disjointed process is still a process! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echo could have some cool typographic effects on the cover-- some kind of reflection or inversion... *puts cart before horse*

    ReplyDelete