Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Refreshing Book

I needed this. I needed to read this book after a series of disappointing reads that I couldn't even get through.

I passed on two or three books that I started, and just couldn't get interested in. I read through a few chapters, then posted them on my paperback swap account and shipped them off. Finally I pulled out a book on my bookshelf, more or less at random, and started reading, and the best way I can describe how it made me feel is refreshing.

I just finished reading Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. And then I watched it tonight on demand because I had nothing better to do. I've already read a book by the two of them, that I really liked, so I had high hopes for this book. And they were met.

We probably all know the premise. They're in a huge crowd, some sort of music club, and Nick and Norah cross paths, and he asks her to pretend to be his girlfriend for five minutes, so that he won't look quite so pathetic in front of his ex. Funny story, she knows his ex, and she doesn't like her.

So the two stick together for the night. Nick wants information on his ex-girlfriend, who he is still heartbroken over, and Norah is trying to give him a good time, while trying to figure out what direction to take her life on all different levels.

I like this book for many different reasons. It flows quickly. The point of view changed each chapter so I get to hear a different voice every few pages. There's music references that don't date the book. The characters are lively and hilarious, and I will admit to laughing out loud a few times.

If you haven't already, give this book a chance. It won't take long to get through, but it'll definitely entertain you.

And on a side note, I really kind of wish the band in this book, Where's Fluffy? was a real band, because the way the characters talk about it, and the way the band's image is designed, sound incredibly amazing, and should definitely exist outside of fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment