Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Secret Weapon

It's almost November, and anyone with the internet and a love for writing knows that means it's almost time for NaNoWriMo. Whether or not you're a supporter of the month-long novel-writing experience, you've at least heard of it. Maybe you've participated. Am I? Heck yes.

This will be my third year participating in NaNoWriMo. I won my first year, reaching just over 50,000 words on November 30th, with just a few hours to spare. My second year, I failed miserably, with just a few hundred words completed total.

This year, I am going to win again. I have an idea I am psyched about, and it almost scares me a little, that's how good it is. This year, I also have to advantages I didn't have last year, (that I did have the year before.)

1. I have a job. This time last year I was working 12 hours a week at the local grocery store. This year I'm working a regular 9-5, (which is, I think, the equivalent to my first year of NaNo- a regular school day followed by either marching band, or my part time job.)

2. No Plot, No Problem. Not familiar with this book? It's a fun little book written by Chris Baty, the creator of NaNoWriMo. I read it just before my first year, and won. I didn't read it last year. I decided to read it this year.

What's it about? Well, it's about NaNoWriMo. It leads the reader through the stages leading up to the month of November, each week of the month, and even the first few days of December. Technically, you're supposed to read each chapter during the corresponding week, but this is where I shrug off that notion and tell you I read the whole thing.

This book is fun and easy to get through. It's very light, and holds a few laughs. It's technically a book about writing, disguised by the idea of getting through a competition. If you ever plan to write a novel in the month of November, I would recommend reading this book. (Or even if you don't plan on writing a novel in November... I still recommend it.)

So, anyone else participating?

No comments:

Post a Comment