Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Woes of a Sad WriMo

I think it's safe to say that I won't be winning NaNoWriMo on time this year. Nope. Not likely.

This sucks. Sorry to be so blunt, but... well, it sucks. It really does. My first year I wrote just over 50,000 words in 30 days exactly. I was a little behind, but I made it in the end. This year... heh...

I keep trying to pinpoint exactly where I went wrong.

  • I'm not connecting with my characters?
  • It's a primarily male cast, and I am not male?
  • They are inspired by real people, and thus they are doomed?
  • Heck, it's just not realistic enough? Even for fiction?

Maybe I should be proud of myself, because it’s quite a comeback from last year… which ended in about 2010 words. (That was an embarrassing year.) Tonight, I finally broke 15,000 words!

*cue happy dance*

Unfortunately it’s day 26, and I have five days to write 34,617 words. Which would be 6923.4 words a day. I'm averaging somewhere between five and six hundred words a day.

My hope is that I at least get far. Even if I don’t win, if I get far enough, I’ll still be motivated to finish, even if it’s not before the month of December. And even if my novel totally sucks, it’ll hopefully evolve into something awesome, or I’ll be inspired to write something awesome.

So... (I might be laughing nervously here)... anyone else participating? Anyone winning? Losing? Crying? Devouring his or her sorrows in cheesecake? (By the way, I recently found out I make awesome cheesecake.)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you wrote 15,000 words, even if it's not the goal you set for yourself this month. Some projects move faster than others, and that's just a fact. They're like children -- each one is different even if the parent is the same!

    They misbehave like children, too ...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete