Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In Which Thing Take Over and Cause Influence

Let me start off this post with an apology. I'm not sure why exactly, but I have a feeling that at some point, I'm going to need to apologize, so I'll just do it now. (Not anything bad, just me forgetting to be normal.)

Have you ever been inspired by a piece of art, a song, or literature before? I'm sure you have. Most, if not all artists probably must have been to be an artist. How about inspired by something because you couldn't stop thinking about it? Did I lose a few people? Okay. Now suppose this something is, in your mind, one of the greatest pieces of anything ever. Did I lose the rest of you? Okay.

Now of course I'm exaggerating, but it's fun to do that from time to time.

I think obsession can be a healthy thing sometimes. (As long as it is in moderation.) Obsession with a piece of art can be healthy because it gets the mind going. Yes, I am speaking from experience here, and I shall elaborate.

The Boondock Saints.

Ever seen that movie? If not, you're missing out. It's not for everyone. It is for me. Basically, I watched this movie for the first time last week, and it has been on mind for the past week. But why? Am I obsessed? Am I incredibly infatuated by the lead actors, who just happen to speak with Irish accents? Or do I just love action and drama mixed together?

While all of these are valid points, I think the largest reason, (and the healthiest) is the characters. Troy Duffy, (writer and director) wrote a piece of fiction about three very well developed characters. Let's see, there was the homosexual FBI agent. (This was the 90's.) And the very religious Irish twin brothers who take it upon themselves to rid the world of evil. I suppose that's just the outer shell though.

I'm one to over-analyze anything, and I did just that with this movie. It got to the point where I can now tell you the differences in the twins' personalities, because the character development was just that great. One is more emotional, and one is more rational. And yet the more emotional one is less reliant on his brother than the rational one. And then the FBI agent slowly loses his mind as he comes closer to solving the case.

So how does this tie into a post about influence? In short, my latest WIP now has Irish brothers, when a week ago, it was just one, normal boy. By having this movie on my mind, my imagination has been running wild, to thousands of places it wasn't going before. Suddenly my characters need more to them. They need a background that is never fully explained. They need a quirk that creates an ongoing gag. This one simple character has now gone through a name change, has gained a sibling, a slight accent that gets thicker when he's angry or excited, and a history and strained relationship with his parents. And he was originally the most undeveloped character of the story.

Isn't obsession great sometimes? Now if you'll excuse me, I do believe there is a movie in my DVD player that requires watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment